Friday, October 30, 2009

Chapter 8

"Bill, you have to eat something," Tom scooped up some of the oatmeal room-service had brought up, blew on it to make sure it wasn't too hot, and brought the spoon to his brother's mouth. Bill turned away, trying to ignore the pain in his ribs.

"I'm not hungry, Tom." The doctor snapped his bag shut and looked at Bill again.

"Try to eat something even if you're not hungry, and try not to get too excited," the balding old doctor turned to Tom, "make sure he doesn't get too excited." Bill looked at his twin brother, who lifted the spoon up again encouragingly. He rolled his eyes and rolled over again to stare at the wall. The old doctor picked his walking stick up from the bedside table and slowly left the room, closing the door behind him.

Tom stared at his twin for a while, before deciding he wasn't going to do much just sitting there. He put the bowl back on its tray and covered it up, sighing.

"You know what, Bill, you eat it when you decide to stop being a 5 year old." He left the room. Bill turned over, the door wasn't shut. He stared at it for a while and then turned back again, maybe one of the hotel employees would shut it for him. He stretched out his hand as much as he could without it hurting, and reached for his blackberry, a message from Adam.

"Baby, I'm on my way there." Bill smiled, and put it back on the table. He closed his eyes, trying to doze off when he heard the door shut. He secretly thanked towards whoever shut it and focused on trying to sleep, when he felt a pair of all too familiar arms gently surround his waist. He opened his eyes and looked down, there was no mistaking those freckles. He felt Adam leaning over him with enough pressure just so he could feel him but not enough to cause him any more pain.

"How are you feeling?" Bill shifted so they faced one another and hugged Adam as tight as he could, breathing his all too familiar scent as Adam's presence made everything okay again. He let go and took up one of Adam's rough hands, interlocking their fingers and losing himself in Adam's silver eyes. Adam stared back at him, let his thumb stroke the back of Bill's hands slowly. He kissed Bill's forehead.

"I'll be fine, Adam." The loving expression he had on turned more serious. He had something on his mind.

"Bill, who did this to you?" Bill stared at their hands laced together and answered slowly.

"I told him to do it." Adam stopped his caresses and looked at him questioningly, praying he heard the wrong thing.

"I'm sorry Adam, I had to." Adam looked away, and drew back slightly, removing his hand.

"Bill, is there something you need to tell me? Something I have to know?" He watched as the younger man struggled to find the right words. He didn't want to hurt Adam, but he thought it was too early in the relationship to be talking about past lovers, or past lovers that never were. He shifted in the bed so he was on his back, slightly propped up on one elbow.

"Yes. Adam, before I met you, I met Anis, Bushido. . We had some things going on between us. It was just playful, but he loved me as more than I wanted him to love me. He was angry, and, I hurt him because I couldn't be with him. I just wanted him to take his pain out on me," he said, searching for his lover's eyes. Adam kept still, not looking back.

"Adam? He won't come find us again, I promise." He saw a tear fall out of Adam's eye and onto the silk comforter, leaving a mark where it fell. Bill stared at the water stain, and then back at Adam, guilt enveloping him. The thought of Bill not being with him was too much for him to bear.

"Adam, i'm sorry."

"Bill, Bill, you're so stupid. I love you," he muttered, "You could have called me, anything, I wouldn't have let him lay a finger on you."

"But there was no time. I had to."

"I could have lost you. I can't lose you, I'll die."

"Don't say that. You've been living without me for your whole life." Adam looked at the younger man.

"It's true, Bill. I can't. I'm too in love with you now. I can't bear us being apart, and I want you to trust me on that. Just, promise me, you won't do anything like this ever again."

"I won't Adam, I promise." They lay there for a while, until the tension in the room became too much. Bill leaned forward as far as he could without hurting and pressed his lips to Adam's, holding until he was sure Adam kissed him back. He drew back to look at his blue eyes again, they weren't angry. He knew that look, the look that assured him that Adam still cared about him.

Adam's mouth curved ever so slightly into a smile.

"I met Tom down the hall, he told me you wouldn't eat." Bill swore. With Adam here, he would have no choice. He didn't want to eat the room service food the doctor made them send up. They were crap, healthy crap. Only stuff that rabbits ate.

"I don't eat oatmeal."

"Bill..." Adam pleaded, lifting the bowl up with one hand and picking the spoon up with the other, "look, they have strawberries, you like strawberries." He scooped up a strawberry and held it to Bill's mouth. Bill relented, rolling his eyes. He took the first bite and spat it out onto the carpet. It tasted like carpet itself. Not that he had tasted carpet before but if he ever did he knew what it would taste like now.

"Urgh, healthy food."

No comments:

Post a Comment